So you had the best Pinterest intentions, and perhaps you even got off on a good start – buying healthy ingredients or downloading cool craft ideas… but then Mondays are Mondays after-all and if you are like me – it just came too soon to really see all my Earth Day ideas unfold into awesome pin-worthy projects. Well there’s always next year.
Just take a few for these simple ways to celebrate our great big and beautiful Earth and everything all around us.
1. Plant a garden. Using items in your panty and refrigerator you can create a simple edible center piece. Here we used black olives, sunflower seeds, carrots, broccoli, grape tomatoes, asparagus, radishes and parsley to decorate and create a garden snack for our table.
2. For bedtime, read a book about Earth. Click here for a cute online version of What Does It Mean To Be Green by Rana DiOrio.
3. Take a listen to some Earth-Friendly kids songs about plant life, animals and our ocean with Recess Music’s “Celebrate Earth” series.
4. Step outside and take in the night sky. How full is the moon? What shapes are the stars making tonight? Do you recognize any constellations?
5. Take Five. In the morning grab your coffee and your kid and sit outside to listen to the birds for five minutes. How many different chirps can you hear? Identify three different types of birds. One my favorite five-minute time-outs is to look for rabbits. Can you spot a frog in a pond? Both require stillness and quiet. Or take a brief walk around the block to engage your senses… what do you see, hear, smell and feel? Literally, STOP and smell the flowers – just don’t pick them if they don’t belong to you.
Above all… remember in the end – Every Day is Earth Day